A major hurricane’s aftermath can be very traumatic, not only emotionally, but also physically including damage to homes, vehicles and boats. With this in mind, Sea Tow, the nation’s leading marine assistance provider, has provided the following points for boaters once they decide to devote some time to their vessels.
- Notify your insurance agent immediately.
- Your vessel will be prone to looters, if accessible remove any loose items. If items are found stolen report them to the police.
- Document the damages to the vessel, if possible take photos.
- The vessel should be protected from further exposure to damage. Cover any holes/fractures in the hull. If the interior cabin/upholstery has been compromised, you should notify a qualified cleaning facility to assist with cleaning and drying the vessel.
- If the engines and machinery have been submerged, you should notify your mechanic and request the engine(s) to be pickled; this will prevent further damage or seizure.
- If your boat was stored on land and was displaced following the storm, or if your boat sank and you need assistance to have it recovered, your insurance adjuster can help you with this. During catastrophic storms there are vendors standing by and ready to assist for a reasonable cost, be cautious of signing a salvage agreement. If you have any concerns speak with your insurance adjuster.
- Once your vessel is safe, your insurance adjuster will make arrangements to have the boat surveyed for damage, provide him/her with any receipts or expenses you incurred after the loss showing you mitigated the damages.
- You are now ready to choose a repair facility to provide you with a written estimate of damages that should be presented to the adjuster for review.
If boaters find that their boat has sunk or has been damaged as a result of the storm, Sea Tow is available to assist with the recovery. The company has the equipment and knowledge to perform vessel recovery and salvage at all levels. Should you need to hire Sea Tow to recover your boat after the storm contact your local Sea Tow or call 800-4-SEATOW (473-2869).